Monday, April 5, 2021

DAVID MILNE







My father and mother were both artistic. My father was an admirer of David Milne, and at that time probably the only one in Uxbridge. David Milne lived in Uxbridge and I went to school with David Milne jr. He was a year older than me and in grade 3 at the time.
I was playing with David in his living room when his mother came in and said “David your father is home and your friend will have to leave.” “Hello Mr. Milne’” I said on my way out.
 A neighbour of the Milne’s often looked after young David after school and David’s mother offered her a Milne painting by way of thanks. “It was handed back with” I wouldn’t hang that in my house!” A local dentist also turned down an offer to trade paintings for dental work.
Back then the train was a big part of Uxbridge life and the only way to get to Toronto if you didn’t own a car. My dad told me a story about sitting with Duncan and David Milne on the train to Toronto. Somewhere near Stouffville David pointed out the window and remarked what a beautiful green this haystack was. Duncan said he was crazy that the haystack was red. 
Dad said he didn't say anything but that haystack sure looked yellow to him

No comments:

Post a Comment