Monday, April 5, 2021

ONTARIO'S FIRST BEER GARDEN

Uxbridge History first beer Garden raised money for Ux-Pool

The first legal Beer Garden in Ontario was in the old arena on Marietta street.

I was chairman of the Centennial Committee and this was quite a coup. We thought it was a great way to raise money for the swimming pool. It was mostly put together by Morley Barton who was the beer rep for O'keefe

We found the law was quite restrictive, we had a license for only 300 people at a time., and we could only have enough beer on hand for 3 beers a person.

we certainly weren't going to raise much money this way.

Morley came to the rescue he supplied a refrigerated tractor-trailer outside the back door so we just kept replacing the empty cases with full ones so we were always legal.

The beer garden was a huge success at any given moment we had 2 000to 3000 people crammed in there.

I remember a constable asking me if I thought there were 300 people yet. "Close," I said.

I told the chief of police who was on our committee. He just said whatever yo//

do, don't tell him.

We raised considerable money for the pool.

Morley was a great guy and for the rest of the time I was in Uxbridge there was a 24 of beer at my door every week.

Morley died much too young.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment