Monday, April 5, 2021

UXPO 72 The Governor-General and the Mounties






The Governor-General and the Mounties

In 1971 I was married and living on Main Street in Uxbridge. I was elected vice-president of the Legion. The Centennial was coming next year and I was selected to represent the legion at the Centennial Committee. As 72 rolled around we had 3 Chairmen for the committee resign for various reasons mainly because it was a lot of work. Somehow I was pushed into the job. it was a big job almost too big. The secretary Mrs. Kathleen Morrison did a remarkable job of holding it all together.

So the Governor-General was Roland Michener and his brother lived just south of town. His brother was giving a big party in aid of the Centennial on the main week and the Governor-General was officially attending.

The Governor-General is the patron of the legion so it was decided to invite him and this last-minute task was given to me.

Now Dean Watson hat the Datsun Dealership at that time and he outfitted me with a Datsun 240 Z for the week. The Z had a hatchback and Dean also supplied a fully stocked bar.

So as Chairman I am invited to the party and I managed to get the Governor-General aside and I asked him if he would visit the legion and sign our guest book. Roland said he had no problem with that if I would go outside and make arrangements with his Mountie Bodyguards.

So out I go and explained to his  Mounties and fixed the details. Seeing they were kind of bored I asked if they would like some refreshment and opened the hatchback for them. Bingo I was Mounties best friend for the next couple of days and every time I parked there was a mountie or two hanging around the back of the Z.

so the Governor General came by the Legion and signed the book and all. I was on his Xmas card list for the next dozen years.

The next day was an event the GG had to attend in Sunderland to which I was invited as well.

So I am on Highway 12 on my way to Sunderland in the 240 Z when the Mounties pull along side me and holler "Whats the matter Gary wont that thing go!" So the next moment i am racing the mounties to Sunderland. It was crazy we running like a hundred mph. The mounties won easily they didn't have to worry about the OPP stationed along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment